Wednesday 26 November 2008

Steel wall critique

Today we had the group critique of the steel wall images from the group. Because of the fact I saw Dinu the other day in a one to one we didn't actually touch upon my work. However the thing that was really useful, was the book he gave me which related to my ideas and work.

The book was on photographer Phillip-Lorca Dicorcia titled Contemporaries.


I can't actually believe I've never come across his work before, but I'm glad I have now because it looks fantastic.
It really lends itself to what I'm trying to do in capturing a sublime moment in time, however it does it in a different way to what I have looked at and shot myself. He uses daylight much more to an advantage in his photographs making them look really striking and slightly odd. The colours in the above images look amazing and really natural, and really help to give a dramatic feel to them.

Even though my images so far have consisted of me using studio lighting , I still think that an image like Dicorcia's would fit with them. I want to experiment with using natural lighting, and to see if it will fit in with the series.




I just wanted to put this photo in as it looks great.

No comments: