Tuesday 11 November 2008

Second shoot

The main thing with this shoot was to experiment with 6x6 film, and see how square format would suit my images. In actual fact, I had never used 6x6 before this shoot and so it was all new to me, and I had to get to grips with the hassleblad.

It didn't take me long to understand the camera, and so I proceeded to set up for an idea that I had thought of quickly the day before. I simply wanted to shoot in the style of Vermeer in this one, but really make the image appear soft and dreamlike. I chose to have my model naked as to add to this affect and to keep with the neutral colours that the daylight provided.




Above is a contact print of the twelve frames that I shot on the film. The first thing to notice is that about half of them are really dark and half really light, this due to different light readings I took whilst shooting. I wanted to test what the light would look like when a reading was taken from the camera looking towards the model and one from the model towards the camera.

I think it's clear to see that the lighter ones look much better.

The image below is slightly better than the others that I shot, and I wanted to look at it larger so as to show why I wont be using it as a final image.

I do like the lighting and the softness that the photograph has, however there are issues with my framing here, as I didn't get in right and part of the foot is cut off. I simply don't think that a square image works, and I'd much rather stick to 6x7 and the general style and lighting of the image from my previous shoot.

No comments: