Sunday 30 November 2008

Millennium images of Poverty

So searching still on Millennium images, I look for work concerned with 'Poverty' and to be honest I feel the range of photo results were much better.


(Tim Kavanagh)

(Wieteke Tepema)

(Nadia Attura)

I found many images relating to the homeless like the ones above, and although they are effective in showing aspects of poverty, I feel that they are almost a little too obvious. However the image in the middle does something different by cropping it, which gives it a whole new feel. It really makes the image impersonal, and is focusing solely on the fact that a person is sat, begging on the street. Playing with cropping and framing could be interesting to experiment with.


(Ian Godfrey)

I really like this image of the boys playing football in the street documentary style. I think the tones and colours work really well, and with the location being in what appears to a council estate/council flats, you really get the impression that it is run down and infact the opposite of wealthy.


(Victoria Dean)

(Tessa Bunney)

This is quite comical in appearence, and the way they are sat posing and smiling suggests they are proud of their home and life, which could almost be contradictory to the idea of poverty.

(Jenny Nordquist)

(Richard Rowland)

I quite like the look of these two last photographs; they are dead on and flat. I think that in doing this they give a clear perspective of what is being shown. They are however a little boring for my taste, and I would much prefer to have people within my own images, simply as a way to make them more striking.

No comments: