Wednesday 29 October 2008

Playing with lighting

This contact sheet of images is from a shoot I did the other night, as a way to primarily experiment.


As you can see with the photos above, I tried a variety of different angles and positions of model within the frame, however when looking at them post production I could see that they simply lacked the quality I wanted, and so I decided to look to ones I shot on film.

Before the shoot, I really had no idea what it was that I wanted to do, and so to begin with playing around with one of the lighting kits was my first step. I knew that I wanted a light source shining out from a hidden place, lighting up my model, and so after trying a few locations I finally decided to use my bathroom doorway. I wanted the whole feel of the image to come across as strange, so having my model stood looking lost and about to enter the bathroom was a way to create an almost open ended narrative, and therefore leaving it up to the viewer to decide what was going on. To add more question to the image, I chose to leave the other door slightly open, with a light coming in from there too, simply as another way to evoke mystery.

So these images are the ones that I shot on 6x7 film on the RB.




No comments: