Wednesday 3 December 2008

Final D and AD image series

These are the shots I produced and the final series for the D and AD competition.

They go in order from top to bottom.

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

I'm really pleased with how these images have turned out, better than I expected in fact. The first three images are first attempts and I felt I didn't need to go back and shoot them again, and the final two are re-shoots, and they worked on the second time. It is really odd that I've only tried one idea for this competition, but with time tight and the fact that I'm so pleased with them first time round, I see no point in trying to do more.

I felt that as a series they fit together very well also. I kept in mind whilst shooting various different things, such as the framing and keeping only a fragmented part of the bodies in shot. I also wanted to make sure that the hand positions were similar in every shot, so as to have something to link the images together. Another way I did that was in the post production work I did to them; I attempted to get similar colours in each image by de-saturating them all slightly and giving them all a similar feel and I just think that this was more aesthetically pleasing in the photographs.

When actually sequencing the five images it was important for me to get them in the right order and right positions. Image 1 and 3 are both similar colours so I chose to have them apart and separated by a darker image. I also chose to flip a couple of them horizontally so as not to have all the bodies in the same positions across the series. Although this goes against what I said previously about having identical positioning in an image, I feel that the variation in these holds them together better.

I've also chosen to use images 1, 2 and 3 as portfolio prints alongside the three vermeer ones to make my total of 6.

No comments: